County Waterford (from the Irish, Contae Phort Láirge) is home to Ireland’s oldest and historically toughest city. Its motto, “Urbs Intacta Manet Waterfordia,” means “Waterford remains the untaken city.” And until 1650, when the city of Waterford finally succumbed to Cromwell’s attempts to overthrow it, this was true.
Vikings settled the port at Láirge in the 9th century with the clear intention of developing a fearful and mighty centre of trade with an advantage to the three rivers (the Suir, Nore and the Barrow River), which drain into the harbour via the River Suir. Feared it was – anyone found to have not paid the tax enforced by the Vikings had their nose swiftly removed. Against the odds, the Normans took command of the city in 1170. Waterford and Dublin were both ordained; Waterford as the second largest county in Ireland, and Dublin as the capital.
The famed Reginald’s Tower, built as defensive measure in the early 11th century, is the oldest monument of its kind in Ireland. It is included in the Viking Triangle, the historical heart of the city. The House of Waterford Crystal and the Christ Church Cathedral are also situated here.
Unmissable Attractions County Waterford
1. Reginald’s Tower (Opening Times: Monday to Sunday from 10.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.)
2. House of Waterford Crystal (Opening Times vary from season to season, but generally the house is open Monday to Saturday from 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 a.m.)
3. Christ Church Cathedral (Opening Times vary from month to month, but generally the Cathedral is open Monday to Saturday from 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.)
4. The Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity (Opening Times: Monday to Friday from 10.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m.)
5. Waterford Museum of Treasures (at the Bishop’s Palace)
6. Curraghmore Estate (Opening Times: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10.00 a.m. – 4.00 p.m. in summer)
7. Winner of the National Green Coasts Award, Ballyquin Beach, is located 5 km west of Ardmore.
8. Waterford County Museum (Opening Times: Monday to Friday from 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.)
10. Old Market House Arts Centre (Opening Times: Tuesday to Friday from 11.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m. Saturdays 1.00 p.m. – 5.00 p.m.)
12. Cappoquin House and Gardens (Opening Times: Monday to Saturday from 9.00 a.m. – 1.00 p.m.)